seems i've always got something on the tip of my tongue.    ©

Thursday, August 31, 2006

RANT: God's Asked Me to Whale On Yo Ass, MoFo!

There's a lot of attention being paid to polygamy and bigamy at the present, thanks to the arrest of that uberFucker, Warren Steed Jeffs. I know there are a lot of polyamorists in my audience, so I'm going avoid starting a war of words just because I disagree with the lifestyle.

(Disagreement does not equal judgment, so spare me the sanctimony, thanks! Do what thou wilt; just don't invite me to the party.)

I want to say one thing, and one thing only.

CNN's been showing these slighted polygamists who feel the world is up against them. (I may not agree with it, but I don't think it should be outright outlawed, but that's another argument for another time.) Naturally, the butthead I saw was excusing or justifying his lifestyle because he believes he lives that lifestyle in praise of God or as a means of being closer to God, or even because God wills it as such. Insert the justification you like best.

I am sick and fucking tired of everyone justifying their actions because it's "God's will." No, people, it's not God's will. If you are religious, then you understand the simple premise of the belief that God gave free will to man so that man may choose and thus ultimately secure his own fate. You have chosen your lifestyle -- whether it be that of a polygamist or that of a bake-sale/PTA mom. Don't fucking tell me you're doing it for God. Do it because you choose to, and have the balls to own up to choice, public opinion be damned.

I could turn around tomorrow and buy stakes in the best Belgian chocolate company in this city and scarf cocoa up my fucking wazoo, turning myself into some 400-lb ball of flab and say, "But God made the beautiful cocoa bean and I am simply choosing to respect the beauty of his creation by indulging in it! I'm doing it for God! My rolls of fat are a testimony to his greatness!"

Nuh-uh, sweetums. I'm doing it 'cos it tastes so fucking good and I'm not getting laid so if that means I indulge, then I indulge. But it's my choice, and that's enough justification. "Because I want to!"

I'm really goddamned tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions. You've chosen. You live it. Be proud of it. Don't tell me it's for a God you've never had the privilege of sharing a beer with. You don't fucking know what He wants, if in fact He even exists, so don't presume to excuse your actions through Him.

A nation of pansies, that's what this is. Fuck, man. God wills it, therefore it must be so. If that's the case, then know this: God gave you a spine, but you CHOOSE not to use it, you fucking amoebas. Get with the program or check the fuck out, but spare me more of this bullshit.

(This goes for anyone on any side of the "God wants it" argument, whether Poly or PTA or Pro-Life or whatever. I'm just sick of the argument. Personal responsibility's like some distant figment of the land over yonder or something. I, for one, think it's time we remember what the hell it once meant.)